Somewhere in the forest of Rumangabo an elusive cat is hiding. For months now we have been finding medium sized cat prints that could correspond to a serval or a caracal, but in this region and environment it is not unlikely it might actually be a golden cat (Profelis aurata). Since nobody seems to believe my tracking skills I decided to set up a little project to prove I was right. In order to do so we have been setting up a camera trap in different positions around the forest the last couple of weeks.
We came to a number of conclusions:
1. The forest of Rumangabo is absolutely crawling with bushbuck! Here are some of the hits we got.
2. A baboon will always find it’s way into the shot.
3. I am not very good at hiding the camera…or…our rangers are very good at finding things.
4. Martijn loves powerwalking through the forest
5. The bloodhound dogs will always find you!
6. Not all animals are easily spotted: find the Giant Pouched Rat.
7. We do have some cool wildlife in the forest: The African Civet.
Unfortunately no golden cat yet, but I remain hopeful.
The hunt continues!